Thursday, September 15, 2011

Doing the Research

Hi Pigeon Peeps and Crafters,

Hope you all "never forgot" 9/11 this past weekend and so far having a good crafty creative week.  It's almost Friday and where did the time go?  I have been busy going a lot of research on what to create for my shop.  It is quite the challenge because I like working with so much different media and materials that I can't decide on the perfect project.  I enjoy doing so many different things: sewing, painting, calligraphy, macrame, beaded jewelry and the list goes on!

But since I am doing the research I might as well share what I created this past weekend.  I enjoy up cycling fabrics.  If I can find a use for it it makes me happy.  I love all those recycled stuffies that use old wool sweaters and vintage fabric, it's so inspiring! I attempted to make a heat rice therapy bag out of an old clean white t-shirt.  Then created my own applique and used heat bond to iron it on.  It turned out okay. 

Here's how I did it: Basically cut out a square about 3.5" X 5" long, stitched it together and left an opening on one side to add long grain white rice.  Filled it up about 3/4 cup full, then double stitched it to close.  That's it.  Now for the testing and research.  I placed it in the microwave and heated it for about 30 seconds.  Heated up nicely but being t-shirt cotton, it doesn't absorb the moisture like 100% cotton. It felt moist the entire time.  I don't think that would work well perhaps making the rice eventually go bad. So I decided to use it as a bean bag instead.  Problem solved. Lesson learned, when making rice bags use material that absorbs moisture and can breathe.  Like fleece, cottons, and linens. So back to the drawing board. :)

Here's the project:



Have a great rest of the week.  Happy crafting!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I read them all and enjoying answering any questions you might have. Share the love♥!